Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Libertarian for Governor of Ohio

Dr Bill Peirce was recently nominated by the Libertarian Party of Ohio to be their gubernatorial candidate. Dr Peirce has spent most of his professional life teaching and studying economics at Case Western Reserve.

I came to libertarian ideas through my study of economics. When I graduated from Harvard in 1960 I was dissatisfied by academic economics so I studied for two years at the American Institute for Economic Research (www.AIER.org), a free market think tank founded in the 1930s. Then AIER paid my way through Princeton (Ph.D., 1966) where Fritz Machlup kept the classical liberal tradition alive.

In 1966 I started teaching at Case Tech (now Case Western Reserve), where I retired from in 2001 and am now Professor Emeritus. At various times during my career I chaired the Economics Department, and I also have done consulting, and served as expert witnesses in court cases; but mostly I read, wrote, taught, and advised students. I have writen books about Bureaucratic failure, Economis of the energy insustries, and the European Union.

The courses I taught ranged across much of Economics and spanned all levels from Principles to advising Ph.D. Dissertations. I have spent much of my career studying government policy, mainly on economic issues. The more I learned, the more convinced I became that Harry Browne had it right when he said, "Government doesn't work." Although I love freedom, my approach to libertarianism began with the pragmatic insight that government is slow, inefficient, and either tied up in knots of red tape or tyrannical (or both). So unlike the many economists who hunt for market failures that the government can correct, I stress the government failures that imply that we should rely less on government and more on ourselves.

During my teaching years I did not have much time for Libertarian Party activities. This is really the first free time I have ever had, and after hearing Gary Nolan call for a credible candidate for Governor at the May LPO convention, I decided to switch from being a student of policy to being an active politician.

Ohio is a great place to live and is filled with fine, intelligent, independent people. The main problem is that the state has been very poorly governed in recent decades. When I moved here in 1966, it was a low tax, low service state. I loved it. Now it is a high tax state. Are you enjoying extra services?

I am running for two reasons. First, I want to get the message out to as many people as possible that freedom is the route to prosperity, property rights must be protected, and consumer choice is the best solution to the problems of our educational system. Second, I want people to understand that Libertarianism is not just a utopian vision of a perfect world, but that it can offer a feasible path from today's grim economic reality to a freer and more prosperous future. I would also like to be the next Governor of Ohio so I can implement my program... and learn to play golf.

I am married, since 1966, to the same wife, Nynke, who accompanies me on my campaign trips. Together, we have three libertarian children.

For details of the platform, check out www.Peirceforohio.com.

Dr. Bill Peirce
Libertarian Candidate for Governor of Ohio

4 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Warner said...

Us Greens are on the verge of officially announcing our candidate for governor, which is going to Bob Fitrakis of the Free Press.

Since we will most definitely be excluded from main stream debates I think we should set up some debates in the Cincinnati area between our candidates.

If you are interested we should set up something down the road.

Contact me through e-mail at:
awarner2@cinci.rr.com

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 3:47:00 PM  
Blogger CincinnatiLibertarian said...

It is still early, but something to think about in the near future. The matter at hand riight now is to overcome the hurdle of getting onto the ballot. If you are not a Democrat of Republican, Ohio certianly does not want you to run.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 10:40:00 PM  
Blogger Andrew Warner said...

That's incredibly true. We will be working on signatures a great deal in the near future.

What's the total number needed this year?

Thursday, November 17, 2005 9:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We need 5,000 signatures by May. This is attainable by setting up a small table on game days.

Oh, and thanks for linking to the Peirce campaign, we're still not 100% with the site features and I'm trying to put together a decent blogroll for Ohio libertarian bloggers. If you know of any others (conservative/liberal) that we should link to, drop me an email from the contact page.

Saturday, November 19, 2005 3:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home